Health careers and job vacancy information
Each of the UK’s four countries provides health careers information slightly differently. There are also different places to look for job vacancies.
Click on the links below to see more about careers and job vacancy information in each of the four countries.
- England Expand / Collapse
This website (Health Careers) provides detailed information about 15 health career areas in England. You can also find out everything you need to know about careers in medicine and public health across the whole of the UK.
Where relevant, we’ll signpost you to further information in other parts of the UK, for example information about studying nursing in Wales.
More than 350 roles to choose from
Each of our role pages includes information about what’s involved in the role, the skills required, necessary training, and where the role can lead. See our explore roles section for information about:
- Health careers in England
- Medical careers in England and across the UK
- Public health careers in England and across the UK
- Vacancies in organisations delivering NHS healthcare (including some vacancies with Public Health England) can be found on the NHS Jobs website
- Opportunities in the Civil Service (including some vacancies with Public Health England) can be found on the Civil Service Jobs website
- Vacancies in local government can be found on the Local Government Jobs website and the Jobs Go Public website
- Wales Expand / Collapse
The NHS is Wales' largest employer and there are more than 200 different health careers to choose from. There's everything from medicine, nursing, and allied health professional careers such as physiotherapy and occupational therapy, to support services such as administrative and clerical, estates, general management, financial management, catering, domestic and health promotion.
Studying in Wales
All health jobs in Wales are advertised on the NHS Jobs website.
- Scotland Expand / Collapse
The NHS is Scotland’s largest employer. See NHS Scotland Careers for more information on the careers available.
Studying in Scotland
NHS Education for Scotland is the place to go for information about studying in Scotland.
Email them at email@example.com or phone 0131 656 3200.
For health job vacancies in Scotland, visit NHS Scotland Recruitment.
- Northern Ireland Expand / Collapse
Visit the NI Direct website for specific information about health and social care careers in Northern Ireland – everything from ambulance service careers, pharmacy, nursing and social care, to nursing, dentistry and medicine. More general information about job hunting, interview skills etc can be found on the NI Direct website here.
You can call the Careers Service on 0300 200 7820 Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Studying in Northern Ireland
If you’d like information about studying nursing in Northern Ireland:
Visit the HSC Recruit website for health and social care job vacancies.